Monday, October 14, 2013

G T Oooohhhh hell yes!!!

I've been on a bit of a frenzy lately with my car buying selling trading etc. To make a long story short I finally sold my trusted 2003 Toyota Tundra access cab. That was a great truck that never left me down and I miss it. I bought a 2003 Honda Element to replace my pick up. The element was a good enough car/suv whatever but it was A) No fun whatsoever and B) Didn't get all that great of gas mileage like I thought it would. I sold that for a few dollars more then I paid and moved on. I then traded my 2005 Harley Davidson wide glide for a clean and fast 1966 Ford Mustang coupe. What made the car fast was a 351 Cleveland big block with the 4v heads. That car haaaauled ass! It also had a 4 speed in it, really fun to drive! I sold that car for a nice chunk of cash (more then I had into my bike so I was happy). I also sold my 1967 Chevy Chevelle Malibu 'Nadine'. She will be missed. I actually lost a few dollars on that deal but such is life. My main reason for selling the Mustang and the Malibu was #1 I didn't really like driving either car everyday or when it was hot (no AC in both cars and Stockton can get into the triple digits in the summer time). I looked around for a while on what I was going to buy next and my needs were this: 1) Must go fast 2) Must have A/C 3) Must go fast 4) Must look good doin it. I've always wanted a Corvette so that's where my search began. I know, I'm 35 so I'm a little young to be buying an 'old guy car' but the older I get the more I find that those 'old guys' seem to know what they're talking about. I was looking at C5's and preferably a Z06. I found a really nice black one in nearby Rio Vista for $25K at a Chevy Dealership (Abel Chevrolet to be exact). I called and asked about the car and came close to driving out to look/buy it. I continued my search as I wanted something a little cheaper but I wanted an LS2 and a 6 speed transmission. Then I had an idea. Whats cheaper then a C5 Z06 Corvette but has the same motor? The 2005-2006 GTO. A friend of mine has had 2 newer GTO's and I've driven one of them and was impressed with the power and ride. I set out to find a 2005 or 2006 GTO with as low miles as I could find and I was OK with it being modded. I ended up finding a black 2005 GTO with a 6 speed in it for $10,000. I went and test drove the car and it ran great. I ended up getting a good deal on the car and drove it home. Since I've had it I've had to do a few repairs, the A/C compressor had to be replaced as well as a few ABS components. The car has aftermarket headers, exhaust, K&N air intake and a Diablo sport tuner. Previous owner also blacked out the rims which I like. Essentially you get a slightly heavier Z06 with a back seat! Now I can go tear it up with my son and my wife at the same time! With the money I would have spent on the Z06 I went out and I bought a 2005 Honda S2000. I couldn't help myself. My wife has learned to drive stick and now drives the Honda to work on a regular basis. She also has driven the GTO a few times and the first thing she said when we got on the freeway was "This thing is fast!" How lucky am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment