Friday, March 28, 2014

True Detective

One of the underlying messages behind True Detective, in my opinion, is how important it is to know yourself.  Rust tells the detectives early on "I know who I am, their's a victory in that."  Something like that.  But he was intent on knowing himself and understanding himself and finding peace in that fact.  Marty never really knows himself.  He questions himself in the car in an early episode.  "Do you ever think your a bad man?"  He asks Rust.  Rust says "I don't think I'm a bad man, the world needs bad men.  Keeps the other bad men from the door."  Rust knew he was 'bad' and he was at peace with it.  Marty was 'bad' but he thought he was good.  Do I think Rust and Marty were 'bad' men?  No, they were not.  They were flawed but neither was truly bad.  Marty was a bad father and husband but as a human he was good.  Rust hated himself and being alive and most people but deep down he was a good person who wanted to protect others and catch truly bad men.  This was a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment