Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Photography and what not...

So it has been a long time since I blogged and I've been super busy (that is my excuse for everything) but really I have been.  I have been busy with work (I am still a teacher, part time wedding DJ, and part time Longshoreman.  I think that one day I will look back at this time in my life and think "Man, I really had a lot of different jobs back then."

What I like about teaching is that I make a really big difference in a lot of people's lives.  Not too many jobs are like that.  Most jobs are kind of the same from day to day and are monotonous for people.  I like that I get to interact with young people, that I hopefully get to impart some life wisdom on them and that by the end of the year they have learned a thing or two about history.  I also really like the people I'm working with.

DJing wedding's is another part time job that I currently have.  We are finally out of wedding season and I haven't had to DJ all month, I did enjoy this past summer where I was DJing most weekends.  The downside to DJing is that sometimes people drink too much and can become really annoying and sometimes rude.  The upside is that most of the time everyone you come into contact with is happy and having a good time.  I will continue to DJ as it pays well and I have gotten pretty decent at it.

I am still a part-time casual in the ILWU Longshoreman Union.  I haven't worked very much in the last few months but I have picked up a shift here and there.  I like working at the port and some days are really smooth and easy and other days are complete train wrecks.  It really comes down to the competency and sobriety of the people your working with.  I have seen some REALLY unusual behavior by my fellow longshoreman but for the most party they are good hard working people.

My newest hobby has been photography.  I recently bought a Nikon D750 at the suggestion of a wedding photographer that I was working with during the summer.  He mentioned he had just picked one up and so far he really liked it.  I have been taking snap shots and trying to progress as a photographer.  Today I bought a Nikon speed-flash (SB700 for those that care), and have been experimenting with it ever since.  So far I am really loving both the camera and the flash and hopefully I'll have enough time to continue pursuing photography as much as I'd like.

The other time-suck that I currently eats up a lot of my time is the PPS/Masters degree program I am currently in.  I am working towards getting a Counseling credential and master's degree in school counseling in the hopes of becoming a counselor for the one. program.  So far I have enjoyed a majority of my classes and I am almost done with the course work.  I have a class in December and January and then I begin my internship and working on my thesis.

Hopefully I will be able to blog about something specific rather then just a general update in the near future.  In the mean time enjoy the pics!






















No comments:

Post a Comment