Saturday, January 3, 2015

January 3rd, 2015 Happy Birthday Mom.

Today would be my mom's 61st birthday.  She passed away in 2005 and I can't believe it's almost been 10 years.  My mother's passing also marks the first year I began teaching.  So whenever someone asks me how long I've been a teacher I equate it to how long my mom has been gone.  Today was like any other and I don't feel sad or mad in anyway.  Grief is a process and it's different for everyone.  I didn't mark today as being special or especially hard as I no longer look at my mom's being gone as a bad thing.  It's like anything in life, you have to make the best of it.  If you choose to look at life's events in a negative light, well then it will be negative.  If you choose to look at life's events in a positive light, then it will be positive.  I spent the day in Modesto buying my son a new Build a Bear stuffed dog.  I owe a great deal of my success to my Mom.  She enjoyed these types of outings, she would have loved to come to Modesto to help Brody pick out a new Build-a-Bear.  In a way that makes me sad for a second but it also makes me happy that she passed on her love for children and her propensity to love unconditionally.  So at the end of the day I smile, I miss her everyday, not just on her birthday but anytime I feel sad or lonely I think of all the love she poured into me and how it's overflowing for my loved ones and for my family and friends.  I owe her for giving me a big heart.  I owe her for teaching me how important it is to love people as much as you can.  I am grateful for the 27 years I got to spend with her and I will continue to spread her legacy on to everyone I come into contact with.  She would have loved that.



2 comments:

  1. I never met Lynn in person but felt I knew her through my daughter Tracy. She adored Lynn and respected her in their work relationship and in friendship. She always spoke of her with affection and of her very kind disposition. She still misses her, but finds great joy in the fact that her grandchildren remind her of Lynn and that they will continue to keep Lynn's memory alive.
    Josh what a wonderful tribute to your mother. Not everyone has had . a mother like her. She was an incredible gift. So happy you continue to pass on the love she showed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All so true Mom. Miss her so very much. Lynn was one of the most amazing people I have ever known!!! Her light definitely continues to shine in the eyes of her family. Thank you for reading Josh's post. I hoped you would be able to meet Lynn, as part of my attraction to her was that she reminded me so very much of you. It was as if we had known each other our entire lives after our first conversation. You would have enjoyed each other very much ;)

      Delete